Valentines Day is approaching super fast. I’m sure the ones who are lucky in love are trying to figure out what to get each other and are planning the perfect date…. But, what if your not lucky in love and looking at Valentines Day as a sad reminder that you are “Single” party of 1? I’m going to give you seven ways to celebrate and enjoy Valentines day and make it one to remember!
- Self- care day: All Day, make it all about you. Even if you have to go to work that day. Dress up, wear that outfit and shoes you’ve been holding onto for that one special event that you don’t even have in your planner yet. Treat your-self to goodies all workday: Starbucks or McDonald’s fries and a coke are some ideas. While you’re at work plan your after work events: Do you want your nails done or maybe a massage? Do it!!! Finally, take your self out to dinner. Yes, everyone will be out and all coupled up and that can sometimes be depressing but, don’t even think about that. Every thought you create on your Valentines Day should be only amazing thoughts about you!! What makes you great? Say it and claim it!!! Are you awesome at baking, do you have great style? Think that! How awesome are you at accomplishing your life goals? Are you crushin’ it? That’s the bomb!!! You should be totally pumped about that! So just make this “ME” Day. Because it’s all about you!!!
- Send physical Valentine’s Day cards to everyone that you love (not romantically): Send to your mom, dad, sister, brother, grandparents and/or BFF’s. That’s right, go to the store and buy several Valentines Cards picking each one out especially for that loved one. Then sign the card, address the envelope and stick a real stamp on it and put it in the mail! How classic is getting a hand written letter or card in the mail? How special is the person on the receiving end going to feel? Very. Which in turn will make you feel special too. Send some love in the mail. Boom!
- Spend some time with an elderly loved one for Valentines Day: Create a memory with them or listen intently while they share their’s. That’s really something special.
- Create a Valentines Day wish list with your Girls over cocktails or mocktails: So, make your significant other wish list; I’ll start: Intelligent, attractive, motivated, christian and God-fearing, employed or self-employed (making money) and, able to hold a great conversation. That’s just for starters….
- Take yourself on that dream date you’ve always wanted to go on: Is it to a fancy restaurant or going to listen to live music in an intimate setting or, is it a trip to the museum you’ve never been to and the little 24 hour coney island/breakfast spot in the college district? Do it girl!! What’s stopping you? Go. Something serendipitous might just happen.
- Make a romantic dinner at home: Just for YOU! Make your favorite whatever!! Get your ingredients from the store and turn on that iPad and stream your best-loved tv show or movie. Light some candles, pour some wine and enjoy YOU! Celebrate you. Oh! Don’t forget dessert! Try the recipe below for Easy and Delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
- Shoot your shot (Take a chance): If he’s single, why not? But, be cool. Just let him know you think he’s pretty dope and you want to wish him a Happy Valentines Day.
Easy and Delicious Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing
Ingredients for cupcakes
1 package boxed German Chocolate cake mix with pudding
1 cup sour cream
½ cup water
¼ cup vegetable or corn oil
2 tablespoons or 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pre heat oven to 350°. Place 18-21 cupcake or muffin liners in the muffin pans. In a large bowl mix together the eggs, oil and, water with a heavy wire whisk or electric mixer. Next add in the cake mix, sour cream, vanilla extract and, red food coloring stir together with wire whisk until combined or on low for 30-60 seconds if using mixer (batter may have a few small lumps).
Using a portion scoop and rubber spatula fill each muffin cup with cake batter. You should end up with 18-21 cupcakes. Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-18 minutes. The cupcakes are ready when the tops spring right back when lightly touched on top. Do not over bake.
When the cupcakes are done, remove from oven and cool in the pans for 15 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and let cool completely; about 1 hour. In the mean time make the icing.
Ingredients for icing
½ cup or 1 stick salted butter at room temperature
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese at room temperature
1 pound box confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
In a medium to large bowl blend together the softened butter and cream cheese. Add in half the confectioners sugar and mix on the lowest speed so the sugar won’t splatter everywhere. Next, pour in the remaining powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and mix again on the lowest speed till all sugar is incorporated. Add in salt and stir the mixer on the highest speed for 1 minute to make light and fluffy.
***Feel free to add in some food coloring if desired change the color of your icing for a little flare.***
Happy Valentines Day no matter how you decide to spend it. I hope you get some ideas from this post and try out these yummy cupcakes! Send me a picture in the comments if you do. And, let me know how you did spend Valentines.
If you like this post and/or others, please share with your friends and family. Let me know in the comments if you have questions on any of the recipes or other posts on mouthfuloffood.com.
Thank you so much for reading, liking and sharing,
Follow me on FB, Instagram, and Twitter @ mouthfuloffood
Here’s some pictures of the cupcakes being made…..
This recipe whips up in like 5 minutes!
Put the eggs, oil and, water together in a large bowl.
Scramble together lightly.
Add in the cake mix, sour cream, food coloring and vanilla extract.
Stir again until all ingredients are incorporated.
I picked up these silver liners from a cake and candy supply store. And, you can get a portion scoop from your restaurant supply store.
Bake the cupcakes 15-18 minutes. Using a portion scoop makes your baked goods come out the same size.
They should look just like this when done. Can’t wait to bite into one!!
Now lets make the icing!
In a medium to large bowl mix together the cream cheese and butter.
Mix in the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract.
Stir in salt last. (I need something to cut the sweetness a little)
And, if you want separate a little icing in a small bowl with a drop of food coloring to change the color.
Decorate your Valentine Red Velvet Cupcakes however you desire and ENJOY!!