Podcasts are my new favorite thing. Not like just now new but, like over the past 2 years. I began with one podcasts and from there I learned of another and another. The lists just keeps growing. Why is this one of my favorite things? First, it is because anyone who desires can go on the airwaves of iTunes, Sound Cloud, Spotify and probably others to express their thoughts, views, and opinions on anything they want. This is one way that I think technology is rockin’ it out. I remember years ago sitting on my front porch thinking talking to one of my BFF’s (Michelle) on the phone and I was saying how I wish I could have my own talk show on the radio because Nancy Grace never gives anyone the chance to talk on her show. She always cuts them off. I’m not hating on Nancy Grace. She is good at what she does or she wouldn’t have been on National TV…..but, that’s where I was at that moment. So fast forward a few years and here we go… podcasting. I have not tried to create my own podcast but, a couple of the ones on my list here today say they began podcasting right on their iPhones with the earphones that came with the phone and using the garage band app. How easy is that? Makes me want to try it out too… (adding to my to do list as we speak).
Today I want to share with you my favorite podcasts. I can’t even remember how I found them all but, if I do I will share that with you too. These podcasts give me so much. I get energized, motivated, educated, laughter and, truth-telling through from my mobile phone; all for free. That is the best part. A lot of this stuff is priceless and these ladies and gentlemen are giving it away. And I can listen all day. My road trip playlist now days are not set to music. It is set to podcasts.
Check out my favorites and let me know if I’m missing out on any good ones!
What’s in my iTunes podcast library?
- Happy Black Woman Podcast: This is the very first podcast I pushed play on. I was already following the Happy Black Woman Rosetta Thurman on social media for her great business advice, webinars and, I also took one of her online classes. So naturally when she said she was starting a podcast I followed her right on over to iTunes. I thought that this was an awesome idea. She was now interviewing women all over the world who were entrepreneurs; running their own business and their own lives. If you want business and or life inspiration; go here.
- The Mattie James Show: (formerly Mattieologie) You know how you click on one thing on your phone and then something else comes up and then the traffic light turns green and you have to move or be moved? That’s how I came across the Mattie James Show. And, I have not looked back. My favorite thing about Mattie James is she is direct and to the point. She gives you advice for running an online business in a 5-10 minute podcast and keeps it moving. I can binge listen to her all day because of her efficiency. Here is where you can find more on Mattie James.
- Myleik Teele’s Podcast: If you don’t know who Myleik is, get to know her. Quick. Ms. Teele is the founder of Curl Box. The first hair care subscription order service for women of color. This service is EXCLUSIVE. You can’t just click to order at any given day and time. You have to wait. Wait for the invitation; for the date and time to order and you have to do it fast because once she has the numbers she wants; it’s a wrap until the next month and you have to try again if you miss out. Trust me. This has happened to me. lol. That’s one of the things that makes her stand out. Her podcast is another. She is another gem dropping gems about life, entrepreneurship, running her business and most recently preparing for motherhood while running her business. On her podcast she interviews people, answers questions from her fans and listeners and then she just talks about what’s on her mind. She reminds me a lot of my sister. They both strive for excellence on the daily. I want to be more like the both of them. Learn more about Myleik Teele here.
- The Think & Grow Chick: Courtney Sanders is the Think & Grow Chick (a play on words “Think and Grow Rich”). **She started podcasting in her car into her phone with the earphones that came with her phone.** I first heard her speak on Myleik Teele’s podcasts sometime last year. I was immediately impressed with her truth-telling her story about how she was asked to leave university for failing her classes and going broke trying to start her a natural hair care business when she was supposed to be in class. Courtney didn’t give up on her dreams of becoming an Entrepreneur or finishing college. She has done both. Successfully. She is now a full-time entrepreneur and also becoming a mom. On her podcast she tells her story, interviews other thought leaders, gives free advice on starting your own online business and offers coaching and classes. A lot of her online classes are very economical which is another reason why I like her a lot. She is thinking of her customers when she creates her programs.
- Hashtags & Stilettos: This podcast is brought to us by Sakita Holley, a Public Relations Strategist. Following the same theme as the other podcasts, giving business advice but from a networking stand point. I love this because; I am an introvert. Any advice Ms. Holley can give me to push me out of my comfort zone and into some collaborations and some dollar signs is greatly appreciated. Again, all for free through her podcast.
- YES, GIRL!- By Essence Magazine: The three ladies that hold this chat room down are hilarious. I’ve only been listening to YES, GIRL! for a little bit of time but the hosts Cori Murray, Yolanda Sangweni and, Charli Penn really know how to have a good time. This podcasts celebrates and loves on everybody black.
- Plus Size Magic Radio: The graduate student is talking about all things affecting people of the plus size…How awesome is that? The good and the bad. Plus Size Magic Radio is still pretty new; premiering just last August. But, Ellise Smith is making waves with her podcast and her brand Fatness Fiction brought to us to dispel the negative narrative that usually goes along with being plus size, or big & tall.
- Bourbon & Boyshorts: (Finally I get to talk about men for a minute, lol.) Hosted by Kyle and Jeremy is all about love, life and, libations per their description. I am not sure how I found these two young men (probably clicked on the link based on the photo alone). Anyway….I like them. They are having a good time exchanging ideas with each other and their female guests. I enjoy listening to them as they express themselves and the male mind. You can find them on FB and on Instagram @BourbonandBoyshorts.
- Food Blogger Pro: Bjork Ostrom is the host of this very valuable podcasts. Bjork is out there interviewing just about everyone who is doing some type of online food business. Books, blogging, You Tubing, Food Photography and even a tv series; almost anyone doing anything online in the food world that you can think of he is talking to them. Asking what worked for them, how did they reach success and, so much more. I find these episodes inspiring and motivational to keep going every time I am not sure about something. Bjork and his wife Lindsay run a food blog called “Pinch of Yum” and they also run a subscription based food blogging school also called Food Blogger Pro.
There it is! Another list of favorites. You can find all of these podcasts on iTunes. That’s where I listen. Search for these and more on your podcast’s search engine.
P.S. This list is not in any particular order. Probably, just in the order that I learned of them. Give them a listen and tell me what you think by posting a comment here on the blog, Facebook or Instagram.
Until next time,
Kim Cherie, xoxox